November 15, 2010

Daddy's little helper

Well for starters, I think it's time for a larger house... preferably one with a workshop for Aaron to work in. (and by "workshop" I do not mean our living room floor) :) In the past few weeks, our house has been torn apart and put back together again several times over. Actually, we're still working on the "putting back together" part. After 4 years of working and waiting, we finally have new cabinet doors in the kitchen! When I bought our house, Aaron said he could make new doors for the kitchen cabinets and 4 years later... they're beautiful! I have to cut him some slack on the length of time it took him to finish them for 2 reasons. One ~ we don't have a house with a workshop where Aaron can do his woodworking projects, so any projects are generally started and done up at his parents' house in Upper Michigan. And two ~ he can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to his woodworking projects, so in all reality, it could have been a lot longer! ;) The bottom line is, they're now hanging in our kitchen and what an improvement!

The "before" ~


The "during" ~


The "after" ~



As I mentioned before, we do not have a workshop at our house, and unfortunately our garage has been overrun by baby toys, tools, and a bunch of other stuff that makes the possibility of using that as a workshop nearly impossible. He did do some of the finishing out there... staining and sanding, mostly (thank goodness!), but brought the doors inside to put the hinges and hardware on. We definitely have a little boy on our hands! Micah was VERY interested in what daddy was working on, and had to be at the center of all that action. I know I should have jumped in and pulled him away so Aaron could do what he needed to, but it was so cute to see him "helping" that I had to get the camera out first! :)

Helping Daddy with the cabinet doors


King of the cabinet door mountain!


"I bet I can figure this thing out..."


"...or maybe I'll just help you take it apart..."


The last couple of pictures are from another project Aaron was working on... figuring out setting up his router table. I know it looks like some kind of table saw, but there are no blades anywhere on the apparatus, so I wasn't worried about Micah "helping". :)



I think it's safe to say that we've got a good little helper in the making. Life is so much fun with a little one! Busier, and a bit more chaotic, but definitely a lot of fun! What will Micah find to "help" with next? :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

To Aaron: Wow! Those cabinets look great! Even though long, I hope the process was fun and just as enjoyable as the finished product. And to Micah: Great job on helping your dad! :)