September 27, 2010

Our little athlete ~

Micah absolutely LOVES the water! Since he was born, we've been very intentional about pouring water on his face during bath time, so he doesn't mind that at all, and sometimes I think he'd stay in the tub and splash all night if we'd let him! :) He was having so much fun in the tub the other night that I had to get the camera out. I did my best to make sure Micah was well covered so hopefully he won't hate me for this post when he's in junior high! :)



Everything ends up in the mouth eventually! ... even a soapy wash cloth!



And one video of him splashing around ~



Since he's such a fish in the bath tub at home, we thought it would be a good idea to get Micah enrolled in swim lessons, which we did at our local park district. He's only had one class so far, and he had a blast! Aaron was in the water with him, and to be honest, I was a little jealous! They looked like they were having so much fun! :)






Micah even went under water with no trouble! I'm so proud! :) Here are a few videos of his first swimming lesson. The first one, I started the camera just as Aaron was bringing him up out of the water, but he splashes a little bit and even dips his mouth in the water. The second one is a bit shorter, and is just Micah going under water. You can hear his teacher sounding amazed at the end that Micah didn't cry at all. :)






We've been taking Micah to Gymboree since he was 3 months old, which he also loves. Unfortunately, it's a little too expensive for us to continue... so, here are a few pictures from his last official class. We have a makeup class next Saturday, but after that, we're done at Gymboree. :(





With his teacher, Miss Jennifer ~


Thankfully, Buffalo Grove Gymnastics is more affordable, so we've made the switch. We're able to save a little money this way, and Micah still gets to play with other kids his age. He is now in a 6-12 month class at the gym that I used to work at, and he is having a ball! We go once a week, on Tuesdays, and he gets to do all sorts of things. The program at Buffalo Grove is a little more gymnastics focused than Gymboree was. Here, in addition to climbing all over the place and working on obstacle courses, Miss Bonnie works with the kids on simple gymnastics skills, like forward and backwards rolls, log rolls, and the like. It's a little weird for me being there as a participant rather than an instructor, but I think I've made the transition fairly smoothly... hopefully I'm not one of those crazy moms the staff talk about in the break room! :)

Here's a picture of Miss Bonnie and the kids...


We've definitely got a little athlete on our hands! It's getting to be more and more of a challenge to keep up with Micah as he gets faster and more mobile, but hey... maybe we can save even more money by canceling our membership at the Y. :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm thrilled that Micah is loving the water. Swimming is one of those things that everyone wishes they'd learned how to do when they were younger. No problem for Micah! He's a natural!