January 27, 2011

Halfway there!

Where have the last 20 weeks gone?!? We had our 20 week ultrasound done this past Monday, (at which time I was actually at 21 weeks, but whatever) and that means we have passed the halfway point in this pregnancy already! I'm not sure if I would say it's been harder or easier the second time around. I suppose both are true... on the harder side, I was WAY more nauseous and sick this time, but on the easier side (and this could also fall on the harder side of the spectrum) I'm chasing around after a VERY active toddler who is in to everything, and keeping up with him left little time for thinking about how tired and nauseous I was feeling. Now that we're well into the second trimester, the nausea has passed for the most part, and my energy level is back up to "normal"... which by everyone else's standards might not seem normal, but when you're working a crazy shift at UPS and going on 5-7 hours of sleep each night, you kind of re-define "normal". :) All in all though, I feel good, and we're looking forward to meeting our little one in just a few short months!

We got a great report from the doctor doing the ultrasound. Since I'm diabetic, they do a level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks, which means they take up to an hour or more looking at every square inch of the baby. (well... almost every square inch. Since we opted not to find out the sex, there wasn't too much studying of that area) :) It is absolutely amazing what they can see on an ultrasound! We got to see, and hear, the baby's heart beating... we also learned that while the heart has 4 chambers in it, only 3 are functioning while the baby is inside, because the 4th chamber is the one that sends the blood to the lungs for oxygen. And since there is no oxygen flowing at this point in the baby's development, that 4th chamber isn't needed yet. There is a small flap separating the 3rd and 4th chambers (yes, they probably have names, but since I'm not a doctor you'll have to deal with "3rd and 4th chambers") and when the baby is born and takes that first breath, the flap closes and creates the 4 chambers of the heart. Wow! and there are people who believe all this happens by chance!

We got to see the different parts of the baby's brain and spinal column... which is amazing in and of itself, as because the baby's skin is still so transparent, the ultrasound can basically see through it. The doctor did a bunch of measurements on different parts of the brain to see if there were signs of any chromosomal abnormalities or defects... there weren't, praise the Lord! ...and he also did measurements to see if the baby's size was on target with how big he/she should be at this stage of development. As best I can tell, the baby is right on track, and is VERY active! I feel movement throughout every day, and I never get tired of that feeling! There is nothing like it in the world! :) At this point, it's not painful yet, but I remember a few kicks from Micah that left me gasping for breath! :)

We got a bunch of great pictures of our baby, which I'll post at the end, and interestingly enough, my favorite pictures are the 3d ones the technician got. I've seen 3d ultrasound pictures before, and while they are amazing, they have always kind of freaked me out for some reason. I don't know if it's because the baby looks like it's made out of clay, or what, but we didn't get any 3d pictures of Micah and after getting a few of #2, I almost wish we had. :) It is incredible to see the baby's face in such detail! I don't know how people can see something like that and think the life growing inside of them isn't a person until he or she is born!

I love the profile pictures of the baby, and the ones of those little hands and feet. I've never struggled to believe the saying "the miracle of life", but seeing it forming inside of me just makes the phrase that much more true to me. This baby is a "miracle in the making", as a friend of mine commented on Facebook. We have an amazing and wonderful God, and having Him grow this life inside of me is indescribable! I cannot be more humbled by this experience or more thankful that this is the way God designed it. (even when I'm exhausted and feeling sick! It is SO worth it in the end!)

We only have about 18 more weeks to go! THAT is mind-blowing! :) Are we ready to have our world rocked again? Probably not. But God knows what He's doing, and He's walking this road with us... every step of the way! :) And we give Him thanks and praise for this blessing every single day!

6 weeks, 2 days ~
(the baby is the tiny blob on the right in the picture. the bigger circle-like thing is the yolk sack, which eventually becomes the placenta)


10 weeks ~
(baby's head is to the right and the butt is to the left)


21 weeks ~

Hand


Foot


Profile picture... head is to the left, belly to the right... and that's baby's hand/arm above the head


3D images ~


First smile? :)


A short video of the baby's heart beating ~



1 comment:

Heather said...

Congrats on being half way there! I'm glad everyone is healthy. Technology has come a long way... I admit, sometimes I think those 3D images are creepy, too. But it's a delight to see this little one. Thanks for sharing! We're thinking of you guys! xoxo