March 13, 2012

Cankles

It's no secret that I've had big babies. Micah was 8 lbs., 14 oz. (born 11 days early), and Caleb was a whopping 10 lbs., 10 oz.! Both have tapered off in their growth now though, and fall right smack in the middle of the spectrum for both height and weight. But, they have cankles. Micah's legs are slimming down now that he never stands still for more than a few seconds at a time, but Caleb's feet just kind of go right into his calves, making it VERY difficult to keep socks on him. So I put my sewing machine to good use, thanks to a DIY tutorial I found on Pinterest, (link here) and made Caleb some slippers to wear that not only stay on his feet (as long as he doesn't yank them off) but help keep his socks on as well!

I made a few pairs, as they are super easy, and even tried adjusting the pattern to make some for Micah. (those didn't work out as I'd hoped... I think I need to make the toe piece wider to be able to get his foot in it) But Caleb has gotten some good use out of them, and since I already had the material for 2 of the 3 pairs I've made, this was a super inexpensive project.

Modeling his Elmo slippers (and looking exhausted!) ~



The "collection" ~



My first pair ~ Elmo


Second pair came from one of Aaron's old t-shirts ~


Third pair (my attempt to adjust the pattern for Micah's feet) was some leftover material from another project ~


Aaron has even asked me to make him some... we'll see if I can make that happen though, since my first attempt at altering the pattern was a flop. :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

These little slipper projects are cute! But... not as cute as your big boys. :)