August 29, 2011

Dinner table conversation...

I've always marveled at those families that I see at a restaurant all sitting at the same table, but having no interaction with each other whatsoever. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about... the people who are all talking on, working on or playing on some sort of phone or other electronic device; talking, texting, or playing while ignoring the people right in front of them. This picture makes me sad... is this really what family time is coming to? I've always said, whenever I see this picture in action, that my family will never be like that. That we will interact with each other around the dinner table, at the very least, and keep cell phones, iPods, and other electronic devices away from the dinner table.
Well... it looks like I might have my work cut out for me to make our family time actually BE family time. I guess this next generation really IS the technology generation, and I'm seeing this in my not-quite-20-month-old son, who I truly believe knows more about my cell phone and iPod than I do! I've always promised that we won't be that family at a restaurant talking to each other on our cell phones, but maybe that's not true... I guess only time will tell! :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Look at that little man! Getting all comfy as he sets his feet up on the table, chatting away. Too cute! and YES! it looks like you've got to set some ground rules. Good luck with that! ;)

Stephanie said...

too cute!